Bachelors Degree in Paralegal Studies
The Bachelor of Paralegal Studies will provide students with the professional opportunities to acquire skills needed to serve the legal community efficiently and ethically as a legal assistant. The Bachelor in paralegal studies degree combines both a complete academic curriculum and practical education to understand the role of the paralegal in a legal environment. The degree program curriculum will also enable students to understand legal theory and apply legal theories ethically to paralegal professional practice.
- Develop knowledge base of law for paralegals more specifically on torts, contracts, wills and trusts, civil procedure, litigation, family law, business organizations, real estate, and criminal law.
- Teach different types of courses which enable students to gain legal knowledge, develop analytical skills, and apply the knowledge they had taught to accomplish tasks routinely performed by legal assistants or paralegals;
- Provide students with a wide-range of education in both liberal arts and paralegal studies;
- Be responsive in course offerings to the needs of paralegals and attorneys;
- Make students familiar with different types of computerized tools so that they can work efficiently and deal with law-related office issues.
- Develop the ability to plan, organize, direct, and control within a legal environment.
- Provide students with practical skills necessary to assist with the administration of a law office, including the handling of accounting and billing procedures.
- Provide students with ethical guidelines for paralegals.
- Familiarize students with the paralegal profession and the opportunities that are available to them upon completion of the program.
- Provide students with skills to utilize legal sources to conduct effective research.